Skip to main content

At First Sight



Golden halos graze lavender breezes

Fresh marigold blooms caress verdant tresses..

Rose-sprays engulf cherry-blossoms

Soothing lilts in familiar tones traipse in traces..

The ground shakes, crumbles, folds,

And peels into seams barricading 

Heaven from the Underworld.

The skies from the undergrowth.

The ventured from the unknown.


I feel anticipation throb against my chest-

Pain pelting my heart, horror seizing my mind-

The charm of the face, the charisma of the gait,

Lend the atmosphere an uncanny poignancy...

Ripe yodels seize the air, elegant tunes rent the breeze

Warmth embraces me amidst a chill storm

Like sun dappling in unseen corners on hidden 

Mosses, lichen, mistletoe. My eyes are rapt

My gaze intrepid, unwavering, dazed.

Violas and banjos, guitars and cellos, 

Pluck at my heart-strings, rattle my bones,

Only to tune them to their synchronous frequency.


I clasp the nearest object, I am now enamored.

Multiple motifs creep stealthily into unwatched corners

Of my being. The sides of my face curve into

Dimpled joy. My eyes turn glassy, distant-

Enraptured by the figure, dancing into the wilderness

Of the possibilities that the silhouette suggests.


Either this happens, or...

Shaken from my slumber, I glance at the clock.

Its bold, black hands suggest something definite-

Like time. Like space. Like trust. Like regard.

In a fashion like that of Elizabeth and Darcy

Or Jo and Laurie- from the classics-

Expectation arises- a brutal tempest,

Sending tremors through the veins 

Of my throat, and stoking the embers

Of passion. It creates friction

That strikes lightning into the azure

And mauve washes in the unworldly skies

That rest in my gaze. 


Dignity, pride, self-respect - threaten to sabotage

The canvas I've created

Of a glorious, gallant, good-looking

Charming, chivalrous friend-

Like some dagger poised above a cherished

Match made- these qualities that are inherent

In me- ask me questions that often startle me-

They settle like unfriendly ghosts near my window

And bewitch that dazed aura of infatuation

Into concrete levels that are indicative of 

Something stronger, more powerful,

Less endearing, at first glance, perhaps,

But eventually, arresting. I want 

My head to be held high, my bones

To be in my control, my eyes to be alert,

My senses to be discerning-

My heart to be beating, but normally.


While happiness whizzes through the air

In balloons of my childish whims,

Paper boats of ancient days-

I want to be tied to my past,

Mindful of my future, 

Aware of my present,

Which you don't gallop into like a knight,

But walk into normally 

Like a decent, supportive, respectful

Shoulder- with an arm held out

To propel, to comfort, and not just to embrace.

I want to be exempted from the beguiling

Intoxicating rush. And just be complete-

Myself- in control, empowered, unfazed. 

I want no more, no completion-

For I am complete,

No addition, or supplication,

That hinders what is natural

In me, from being itself. 


I want no splendour, no elegance,

I want raw, pure, unbridled

Peace, joy, satisfaction. 

So maybe I am Elizabeth and Jo

All over again, 

But with my very own

Rules and regulations 

Governing love and its implications. 

I've seen what trances

Lead to, the anguish that

Runs through the hell that 

Adjoins the placid heaven-

When looks, grace, the polished exterior-

The gallantry, the flattery, the chivalry

Are taken to be true and absolute.


I don't want those goose-bumps

Or those reveries, fantasies,

They make me want to turn my back

And walk away- a young woman

Who will never cede control 

Of her life and happiness-

However desirable or charming

The demigod that lures them away..

And I am led to question,

Love and longing

At first sight.


Image Courtesy: https://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=928834


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still

A landscape of feathers The smoothest natural canvas, For Nature's painter- Alighting while parading its beauty Before retreating  Into a well-worn easel. Soot-black, rust-grey, brown like tinsel, Folding up and pulling down the covers Over grace, beauty and space, Compounded with distance, Rendering known unknowns, beautiful art. Now mingled with unknown knowns, Streaks of color paint the marauded canvas Differently. Camouflage seems eminent, Unimportance, inadvertent. The marvels Of the aerial world, beget stupor as  They transform into the pedestrian In the realm which is terrestrial. The miracle of flight now a bane, As for food they must forage  With feet, not fly with feathers. I don't want to startle them. It is silence that beckons them to the ground. Startlement stirs them upwards, into the skies, Simpering, whimpering, not soaring and diving- Trespassers on a land where they are weak, Vulnerable- they know they can't win. Aviation is a weapon futile against...

The Tree Says 'Hi'

  The tree says Hi! My balcony was briefly an arboretum. Windswept leaves splayed over the floor  Like champion specimens -parts of a fine species- Careening into a welcoming sanctum That is otherwise empty- save for clothes on stands Or people on feet. When this tree paid its timely visit Luckily, there was nothing, no-one. It probably seized A rare chance- when it was out of anchor, fit and fine, In form- and the tiled floor bare. No sign of occupation. It bore its way past the metal rails that serve to Prevent our falls, but here cushioned the tree's. It rested its somber branches easily on the rail, Which is mighty strong and sturdy, as I can now discern. It snooped its slender branches threateningly over A cauldron of leaves. Green cauldron, green sorcerer. When I woke, there it was, unshakeable, unmovable. Oh, it was mobile alright. It'd have moved of its own will. It was merely enjoying its soiree in a forbidden land, Like we all do. But it just stared at me, with compo...

Clandestine

Sometimes we wait too long, To speak our minds. We let lingering truths linger, We let sporadic clocks, chime.. We allow patient seams to fritter away Like a sparrow does with the timber of the tune That she was shrouded by; shrill words tearing  Ears, each word she utters, careful, today. While the first day it was a free reign, until Some unctuous winds carried to her, criticism. Just the same way as copper utensils in a house Of steel, are anyone's delight, until bronzed,  With wear and use, both are the victims Of sundry needs and glances. Just the same way, some things, Are stowed away in careful pockets Because they have borne a lot of perusing When kept in the open.  Like love. Like hurt. Like envy. Like silence. Trust and truth are two things I can list, That are given, that are l'habitude. I tell the truth because it is, it exists, It is what I perceive, it is what I've lived.. And I keep your trust, because I've learnt That it'll help you keep mine, it wil...