Skip to main content

Sforzando

 

Sforzando (in music, Italian): played with a prominent stress or accent- used as a direction in music

“I am not the languid legato-

Played swiftly and in ballet-like grace-

I am not the crisp, aloof staccato-

The tangent cut against the circle of a tune,

Sharp, patent, chivvying the other notes

To be bolder- I am not the stern tenuto-

Making appearances at the end of musical phrases-

I am not the wistful tremolo- nor the bristling trill-

Each blending into the magic of the tune

With unparalleled subtlety- innocuous, smooth,

Blending into every fiber with poise…

I may be an outsider; who would say that I belong-

An outsider, imposter, traitor, and rebel- yes, I am

All of these things- I arrive with a bang

Depart with a smash- I hoodwink you

I play you… you may call me vindictive,

Un-abiding and a transgressor.

I don’t conform, I don’t submit,

I exist, I am, I shine, I disregard

The other entities that precede,

And follow me- my fellow musical notes-

I am confident, in and of myself,

Yet, I am precise, perseverant and augment

An otherwise slightly plaintive piece…

I can be still, provocative, joyous,

Trepid, torturous, at will-

I am strong- by disposition-

I can be who I am, and add value

In my unique beauty- I can leave

Audiences gaping, adults stunned,

Children beaming and inspired.

I am, proudly, only, and only,

Sforzando."


The poet and music-lover's note: I understand that this poem has a lot of musical words (all of which are Italian words) in it. In this poem, I seek to use the allegory of the 'sforzando' in sheet music to represent the concept of 'standing out, rather than fitting in'. In a world that often seeks to churn out herds of people, I think we must all take note, that the driving force for all of us, are the qualities that set each of us apart- the unique story that every one of us has to tell.

Meanings of Musical Words:

legato: smooth and flowing in manner, without breaks between notes.

staccato: with each note sharply detached or separated from the others.

tenuto: (of a note or chord) held for its full time value or slightly more.

trill: a rapid alternation of sung or played notes.

tremolo: a wavering effect in a musical tone, produced either by rapid reiteration of a note, by rapid repeated slight variation in the pitch of a note, or by sounding two notes of slightly different pitches to produce prominent overtones.

And finally...

sforzando:  played with a prominent stress or accent- used as a direction in music


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still

A landscape of feathers The smoothest natural canvas, For Nature's painter- Alighting while parading its beauty Before retreating  Into a well-worn easel. Soot-black, rust-grey, brown like tinsel, Folding up and pulling down the covers Over grace, beauty and space, Compounded with distance, Rendering known unknowns, beautiful art. Now mingled with unknown knowns, Streaks of color paint the marauded canvas Differently. Camouflage seems eminent, Unimportance, inadvertent. The marvels Of the aerial world, beget stupor as  They transform into the pedestrian In the realm which is terrestrial. The miracle of flight now a bane, As for food they must forage  With feet, not fly with feathers. I don't want to startle them. It is silence that beckons them to the ground. Startlement stirs them upwards, into the skies, Simpering, whimpering, not soaring and diving- Trespassers on a land where they are weak, Vulnerable- they know they can't win. Aviation is a weapon futile against...

The Tree Says 'Hi'

  The tree says Hi! My balcony was briefly an arboretum. Windswept leaves splayed over the floor  Like champion specimens -parts of a fine species- Careening into a welcoming sanctum That is otherwise empty- save for clothes on stands Or people on feet. When this tree paid its timely visit Luckily, there was nothing, no-one. It probably seized A rare chance- when it was out of anchor, fit and fine, In form- and the tiled floor bare. No sign of occupation. It bore its way past the metal rails that serve to Prevent our falls, but here cushioned the tree's. It rested its somber branches easily on the rail, Which is mighty strong and sturdy, as I can now discern. It snooped its slender branches threateningly over A cauldron of leaves. Green cauldron, green sorcerer. When I woke, there it was, unshakeable, unmovable. Oh, it was mobile alright. It'd have moved of its own will. It was merely enjoying its soiree in a forbidden land, Like we all do. But it just stared at me, with compo...

Clandestine

Sometimes we wait too long, To speak our minds. We let lingering truths linger, We let sporadic clocks, chime.. We allow patient seams to fritter away Like a sparrow does with the timber of the tune That she was shrouded by; shrill words tearing  Ears, each word she utters, careful, today. While the first day it was a free reign, until Some unctuous winds carried to her, criticism. Just the same way as copper utensils in a house Of steel, are anyone's delight, until bronzed,  With wear and use, both are the victims Of sundry needs and glances. Just the same way, some things, Are stowed away in careful pockets Because they have borne a lot of perusing When kept in the open.  Like love. Like hurt. Like envy. Like silence. Trust and truth are two things I can list, That are given, that are l'habitude. I tell the truth because it is, it exists, It is what I perceive, it is what I've lived.. And I keep your trust, because I've learnt That it'll help you keep mine, it wil...